OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Brixx Wood Fired Pizza, Asheville North Carolina

Brixx, Asheville NC.  Good family fun, and beer, and pizza.  Monday is the day to go cause the happyhour is AWESOME!

So we went on a Monday, scroll down to enjoy.





24 beers on tap, tons of locals to choose from, Monday ALL drafts are $1.95, AND, they have a frequent customer card, or whatever the name is, and after a certain number of beers you get free food.  Yeah, FREE appetizers, pizzas, stuff to eat for FREE.  

So naturally, the smartest dudes I know in Asheville (Gabe and Dylan) have figured out that on Monday's, drinking for $1.95 a pop, it pretty much equates to free beer if you consider that you get free apps and pizza and $1.95 beer..... if the bill is say $20 and you've had a free pie and app and 5 beers each, you have essentially paid for the food and drank for free.  Flipping the system around, it's a mind game, and they are winning.....  

Smart dudes, and great beer.  Let the show begin...



My honest observation is that the beer is the star here. 

I did very much enjoy the pizza, but probably because the company was so good that really anything would taste great.  

This is a pizza chain and developed not necessarily by people that are true pizza crafters, so the crust is not really the star.  The toppings are the star and they do, very much, have some tasty combinations.  But the crust is like I have explained before in other posts, a bread dough and not a pizza dough.  No pull, no snap, no chew.  Compressed white bread.  It holds up to the toppings, physically, but it's not a true pizza dough.  Did I eat 12 slices?  Fo sho!

Nice oven


Wood fired


Very thin


Let's step back to the apps

This was Zucchini Balsamic Toast

Similar to a bruschetta but FANTASTICALLY good.





Pimento Cheese and Pita

If you haven't ever had pimento cheese your life is not complete.  It's delicious, hard to explain so I won't, but it's cheesy and yummy.


Looks like potato salad, but so not


The following pie is Sweet Thai Chicken.  It was the first pie we had and hands down the best.  However, had we started with a pie with less bold flavors we might have enjoyed them more, I think. 



Bronx Bomber

Really really good too.  So maybe I need to amend my previous comment a bit now that I see this pie.  This was a close second in the "favorite" race.  Lots of meat and some gorgonzola cheese too.




Rosemary Chicken and Mushroom

Kinda boring, not much rosemary flavor.  Had we started with this one it might have been enjoyed more.



We liked the pimento cheese app so much that we ordered the pie, which fell a little short, but fun to try.  The flavor of the app is bigger and bolder than the pie, so I'd just stick to that if I was you.


Desert pie..... Smores

Sharing this was great cause more than one slice and I'd be feeling this for a while.

Thick, gooey, yummy.  Worth a try.  Enjoy.




Beer, Pizza, Family.

More of all please.

DVA


1 comment:

  1. Very good comment. The other day I used to be educated about this website and wanted to let you realize that I have been pleased, through his messages. I'll be signing up to feed blog and is expected next post.

    pizza downtown Asheville

    ReplyDelete

Followers