OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Friday, September 19, 2014

Bleu Boheme, Kensington, San Diego, USA

I am by no means an expert when it comes to this place nor would I consider myself experienced in the French culinary arts.   I would, however, call myself a purveyor of all things fine or otherwise.

I've sup'd here several times and have always enjoyed myself immensely.  The feel, or what I would imagine France to feel like, enrobes you from the minute you gaze upon this corner establishment.  An inviting sidewalk bistro,  calling for you to sit, rest, and replenish yourself before heading back out to finish your day, or in evening time, onward home.  The rear of the main dining room is a large stone wall, elsewhere you are surrounded by what feels like ancient wood supports and beams.  Signs are hand written announcing the offerings of the day.

As of late our purpose here has been happyhour.  And here it's literally one hour of happiness.  
But oooooooooohhhhhh is it good!

Let's begin shall we?



The social hour, 5 to 6
(or for our European friends, 17:00 to 18:00)

Half off specialty martinis that normally go for $11.50, an inordinate amount of varying Moule Frites flavors to choose from, and fantastic small plates to share.  Arrive at 5 and there is ample time for 3 rounds, if you dare....


I am enjoying the Bleu Martini.  A fairly standard, and perfectly balanced, gin martini with two blue cheese olives.  Dare I say they might be Roquefort?

It's perfect


Hey Girl is having the Basil Martini.  Vodka based and from the way I've seen her chug these, they are good.   Sadly though I've never tried one.  Mainly because mine is so f'ing good that I don't want to waste my time.  Ask her though, she'll tell you all about it...


Worth another look, enjoy


Bar service is provided by this kind fellow.  An expert mixologist and just a really nice guy.


Back to the menu.  Honestly, this is only our second happyhour here at Bleu Boheme.  The first time we had the Provencales Moules Frites and it was amazing.  This time we are going for the a la Creme d' Ail, creme and garlic.  We are also eyeing the Escargot or the Gnocchi for our next round, but we haven't really made up our minds just yet.  So, bring on the Moules!!!!


 While we wait, here's a glimps of a few of the amazing appointments around the bar


For the preparation and serving of Absinthe


Is Dumbledoor near?....


Beautiful bread to share,  It's warm and wonderful.  Outside crispy, inside soft.  

Parfait


Bom bom bom BOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!


Yeah, ten bucks.  smells incredible, tastes even more than incredible, whatever that word is




This is obviously for the shells, which is vital so that you can get your face in the sublime sauce underneath.  


Just imagine soaking that bread, lightly buttered, in this stuff, leaving it for just a few secs, and then in, just put it in your mouth.   Sofaking good.



We were then about to order one of the choices previously mentioned, when the kind old gentleman next to me overheard us talking about our Moules and my martini with the blue cheese, and he hands me one of his Moules, he was enjoying the Roquefort.  And man oh man, we had to get them.  Yes, a second round of muscles, please!  This one is packed with Roquefort and onions and flavor! 

Are there other places in San Diego to get great muscles?  Absolutely
Is this place one of the best?  Absolutely!
Is this my new favorite martini spot?  Absolutely
Should you come here and check it out?  Absolutely!

Moules, frites, pain, boissons, profitez-en, et ils sont miex avec des amis.

DVA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers