OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

ANA Hotel, Okayama City, Japan

This meal, this experience, is the essence of why I love Japan so much.

Every detail is known to have an impact on the event.  From the lighting to the view as you glance from the table to just simply the amount of time spent eating, talking, communing with other fellow humans is important.  

Once again I do not know the name of the restaurant.  I do, however, know that it's on the top floor of the ANA hotel in Okayama City, just east of the JR Shinkansen Station.

Great food.  A great view.  AWESOME guys to enjoy it with.  If you have to be away from home there is no better way to spend an evening.


The View


The seating
(sunken floor under the table)


Opposite the window


Nishie-san taking a photo of me taking a photo


Just more


My spot

Bellissimo


Rather rare to have an english version of the menu, but Okayama City is not a small city, so maybe it makes sense?  Who knows.

We are having the Autumn Night Sky Course (for those of you who can't read or see...)

Each line in english is a different option for that given course.  I'll show you what I had, sofaking good


Of course, beer first


Mantis Shrimp Dressed with Tofu and Sesame Cupped in a Persimmon


Until this dish I significantly disliked persimmon (hated for those of you who aren't overly sensitive to that word....) This was so good that I ate it all, everything, including the persimmon and even the green part on top.


Now the Sake!


We had two kinds, and a different cup for each.  No idea what type this is.  I do recall, vaguely, that I had a hand in selecting these, and the subsequent ones, but I don't remember.  There have been a lot of sake's between then and now.....


Two kinds at a time, cause that's how we roll



Foie Gras Chawan-Mushi
(a savory steamed egg custard with assorted ingredients in a teacup)

and FOIE GRAS on top

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And this is what's inside

 Amazing and delicious

One of the best things I've ever eaten


Steamed Matsutake Mushroom and Sea Eel in a Teapot


You squeeze the lime in and then pour the broth into the saucer and drink, and then eat the stuff in the teapot, alternately.  Yummmmmmmm.

FYI, Matsutake Mushrooms are one of the most expensive mushrooms, anywhere!  Well, at least in Japan.  And they are a flavor explosion up in your grill.



Two more, because we can



This was my least favorite.  It was just kinda boring after the previous big flavors.

A Medley of Grilled, Citrus-Scented, Butter Fish.


Yeah, maybe one more


Three Pieces of Flame-Grilled Sushi


And the star of the show!

Aka (red) Miso


This is my favorite thing to eat on the planet.  This and a side of white rice.  Typically this is the last course of the meal, prior to any desert course that is.  It really is big on flavor and just sort of tops off the tank, filling you with the most splendid, rich, deep miso flavor, almost burnt, nutty.  I am salivating as I write this and day dreaming about the next chance that I might have to eat this again.


Desert was tea, a ball of mochi filled with red bean paste, a slice of apple, and one grape with the top peeled back.

Amazing




This meal took at least 3 hours.  

Many small courses, endless (seemed) bottles of sake, much laughter, a truly great time with great company eating great food.

Slow down your life, take your time and experience everything, see/touch/hear it all.  It matters.  The moments matter.  All of them.

Let's go to Japan

DVA


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers