OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Kimchi Soup (Kimchi-guk)


When last we came upon this old friend he was fresh and new and exciting.  But alas, over the past month, he has become tired, old, boring, in desperate need of a spark, something new.....

Kimchi-guk!!!!!!

Now please do not misunderstand, the Kimchi that we made a month ago is still super duper awesome and super duper tasty.  It continues to fart it's brains out and stink up the whole fridge, kitchen, and house.  Decomposing, rotting, growing deeper and deeper in flavor and tartness.  It's delicious and I eat it all the time.  It's just a little boring in this form now, so,  I'm ready for a new way to eat this amazing food.

Kimchi Soup

A mixture of chopped kimchi, pork shoulder, red pepper paste, and a few other minor characters.  

I have to say at the outset, this was super great, and with a minimum of ingredients, a pretty amazing bowl of soup.

Let's jump right in!  
(in the unlikely event that you want to make this soup, please drop me a line and I'll give you the ingredient measurements)

It starts with Kimchi

You can see the transformation over the last month.  More pale in color and more wilted.

On the left is now, the right is freshly made





Chopped


Pork Shoulder, cubed, kinda small.  

I did an experiment on this and just sliced through the fat and all to see if after cooking it turned out to be nasty and gristly and fatty.  It was beautiful and soft and delicious.  No remains of the fat or anything, other than it flavoring the broth fantastically, rendering down to just tender beautiful meat.



Red Pepper Paste


Just a touch of sugar


Everything goes into the pot all at once and you boil on high for 30 minutes


After the 30 minutes you can add tofu, or dumplings, or whatever other items you might like, or nothing at all.  We happened to have these Mini Chicken Cilantro Wontons in the freezer, and they ended up being perfect.

In the pot they go and cook on low for another 10 minutes.



Add sliced green onions and serve


I made Japanese Sticky Rice as well and I recommend just put it straight away into the soup.  It acts as a vessel of sorts to transport the broth into your mouth, and adds texture, and makes the meal a bit heartier.




What else is there to say?  

Great soup made from great kimchi.  Homemade food, cheap and delicious.

The only way to follow up this belly full of goodness is to sit back, relax, and have some scotch.

How does this stuff look?



Eat drink laugh love

You deserve it all

Go get it

DVA




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers