OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Friday, March 14, 2014

Japanese Hotel Lunch, Cerulean Tower, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan



Tokyo

It's a huge bustling city sprawling out as far as the eye can see.  Overwhelming for sure.  Newly arrived I am a bit disoriented, yet it's midday, day one, and I am hungry.  Laking the energy to brave the subway station or navigating the catacombs of the city I simply give up and head to the lobby of my hotel to quench my hunger.  It's lunch time but it feels like the middle of the night still.  

I need food.  

Carmelo is the lobby restaurant.  Their menu varies greatly.  But, as this hotel is away from the normal tourist area, there is a very nice offering of Japanese food.



This was the starter, and it tasted as slimy and as terrible as it looks.

Okra and seaweed maybe?


A wide selection of Japanese food, yet typical of lunch.  A bit of this and a bit of that.  


Pickled somethings.   


This is an iron plate sitting atop a sterno can and it was sizzling very loudly.  On the plate is beautiful beef slices atop sliced mushrooms.  


Sashima plate, below is a layer of rice.


Marinated bamboo shoots


Tempura.  The ponzu sauce to the side is for dipping.  The small pile of salt in the upper right corner is for dipping as well, but it is to be used sparingly.


A very light miso soup with two large clams.


Dessert


I don't think there's a need to explain this one


Grapefruit and orange


Green tea cake-et (meaning small, but good)


Almond cake?


A nice start to the trip, getting me back in the game.

The air was crisp and clear.  The view as endless as the city.  Fuji rises above keeping watch, protecting, just being.  It's an amazing view and one that lasted the entire day and on into the night.



Green flash, Tokyo Style

Konbanwa

DVA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers