OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Jerk'd in Jamaica

Grant Jerk Pork &

That's what the sign says.  Nope, I didn't blow the shot and miss part of the name.  

There is no website for this place, you won't find it on Yelp or TripAdvisor either.  A local roadside food joint, filled with people from the area and truckers/passers-by that are hungry.  The people were warm and friendly, a very inviting atmosphere.  A killer way to start this adventure.


We are half way between Kingston and Ocho Rios.  Our amazing driver Winston knows this spot and the locals that frequent it, so we're stopping, and we're stoked. 

The meat is slowly cooked over a bed of charcoal covered with wooden poles, meat on that and then all is covered with corrugated metal siding sealing in the heat.

Looks gnarly I'll agree.


Over to the side are a few burners where the sides are prepared.  Fried plantains and "Festival" which is a fried bread, more on that later.


Let's start with a Red Stripe!


 Our man Winston orders us up a tasting plate and we are ready to dig in!  It's all cut as it's ordered, either quarter, half, or whole chicken and pork is by the weight.



Keep in mind that we have been in-country about 1 hour at this point. Literally landed, walked to the Sandals counter, Winston ushers us to his van, and away we go.


Jerk Pork


Sausage


Jerk Chicken


I liked the chicken the best but I was eating the thigh and wing bones, HG thought it was dry but she was mainly eating from the breast.  HG's favorite was the pork, and we both thought the sausage was OK, worth the try but not wonderful.

Here is festival.  Fried bread almost in the shape of a braid or long think rope cut into sections.  Was ok flavor but mostly useful for soaking up the spicy sauce that is offered on the side.  And spicy it was.  Tore a hole the next morning, if you know what I'm saying.....


Bellys' are full, let's get to the resort!

Upon arrival we are greeted with glasses of champagne and lot's of smiles.

Winston departs with a hug and a smile and we are off to our room, ready for paradise.


 Amazingly, or not, it looks just like the website.  Here is the view from our room.  Incredible.

I doubt there will be more posts from here as I really just can't get it together to carry my camera (phone) around with me nor do I care to snap any shots.  We are relaxing and truly enjoying ourselves here in this magical place.   Everyday new memories are being etched in our brains. 

Peace, Unity, Respect

Jamaica

DVA




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers