OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Friday, November 14, 2014

Iron Chef Chen Kenichi Room Service, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan

Hello Tokyo

Dusk is spreading out over the city and I've been holed up in my room all day nursing a hangover that just won't leave.  I'm tired, hungry, ready for a belly full of great food to send me deeply into sleep.


My hotel is in the heart of Shibuya.  The hip/cool area of Tokyo known for lots of great restaurants and bars.  I am literally across the street from the Shibuya station, 
the launching point to everywhere Tokyo.


Located on the second floor of my hotel is the Chen Szechuan restaurant, named for and created by the Iron Chef Chinese Chen Kenichi.  For those of you not familiar with the Iron Chef TV series, wake the hell up and get a clue.  Search the internet, I'm embarrassed for you.

Chef Chen is amazing, his food is delicious, this is simply a treat to not only be able to GO to one of his restaurants but they will deliver his food to my room?!?!?  WTF?!?!?!?  

Yes please, I want that.

His signature dish is Ma Po Tofu

A spicy (or not so much for those used to Mexican food spicy, like me) tofu and minced pork dish.

Here is what is delivered:


Ohhhhh mama, sofaking good.  The smells are infecting the very soul of my room.


The sun continues to set, changing from day to night, the city begins to come alive.


This is some sort of Shumai, not certain of the meat.  

They are large and good and hot and handmade.



Gohan.  Sticky and perfect.  

A nice base for the spicy tofu.  
A gentle magic carpet ride for my food, down my throat, into my belly.


Night is here, darkness falls upon the land


Next is a very light onion soup.  Possibly beef broth.  It's light and easy on the stomach, a perfect way to wash down the pork/tofu.


Dessert is a very sweet custard.  It has a very strong vanilla flavor but surprisingly not overwhelming.  I have no idea what the red things are.  I ate one and I honestly can't tell if it's a seed or fruit or manmade or what.  It had the texture of a small tomato but the flavor of a strawberry or raspberry, with a hint of cherry.  Very weird.


The day is done.  As the darkness seeps in red lights begin to awaken everywhere that the eye can see.  Like cherries atop a giant never ending sunday, or a field of raspberries covering the landscape.

I slip into bed, ready for this day to be done, 
a solid delicious meal in my body carrying me away to dreamland.

Goodnight Tokyo

DVA



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers