OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Monday, November 10, 2014

Lunch In Tokyo For Under $5

And not just filling but DELICIOUS as well, AND filling, and super close to my hotel.  
I'm pretty much killin' it right now....

But, anyhow, it's lunch time, and I'm working from my room today and the internet connection sucks, and I'm hungry but I don't want to waste a lot of time.  In the building right next door to my hotel is this small breakfast/lunch spot, very typical of the many thousands that canvas the city.  The offerings may be different but the system is much the same, plastic food in the window, machine where you select and pay, hand the ticket to the person behind the counter, grab a stool.  Within seconds, faster then Mc Donald's, your food is ready.  Healthy (usually) and fresh.  

This is gonna be good!





Quite obviously this must be the machine.


In we go


This is a no bullshit post.  We are gonna eat and roll out.

I select the "set" menu.  Meaning that it's not just one item.  I'm having the hot soba and a breaded/fried chicken cutlet over rice.

The soba is similar in appearance to ramen.  The only, and huge I might add, difference is the noodle.  Ramen are alkaline noodles, making them a little chewy and tend to be more flavorful.  Soba is made from buckwheat.  You can find soba in both the cold and hot versions.


Delicious and hearty.  The noodles were packed with a lot of flavor and the broth was a soy broth but not too salty.  I really really enjoyed this.


This chicken and rice wasn't the star of the show, and it wasn't intended to be.  What it did do was top off the tank, filled me up, a nice floater above the soup in my belly.

Not every meal in Tokyo is this inexpensive (normally it's quite the opposite), but most are this satisfying.

Eat out

DVA




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers