OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Table No. 10, East Village, San Diego, USA



One of the most complete dining experiences in my recent memory.  Taking me back to the good ol' days when Lion's Share had just opened and they were KILLING IT.  Firing on all cylinders.  Happy friendly staff, amazing food, original menu, great cocktails, reasonable price.  
Very reasonable price I might add.  So good in fact that I'll be returning there with HG in days numbered on less than one hand. 

Let me show you what I mean.....

Yes, this initial drink is a bit feminine.  But hey, I think I can rock it.  Seen the beard lately?  I agree it's awesome....


I sit at the bar enjoying a pre-beverage.   I've arrived early and I haven't picked up my guests yet, who are staying just around the corner.  I also wanted to check the place out a bit, a sort of "once over" if you will.  Yes, my first time here.  A very cool bar is located upstairs, along with the main dining room.  I like the ceramic stag on the wall.  Nice.


A wall of booze.  Lots of whiskey.

More on that later.


My partners in crime for this voyage are two of the usual suspects.  One who happens to be a HUGE Giants fan.  The Yomiyuri Giants that is, who's home is the Tokyo Dome.  Stay tuned for a post on that in a few weeks, should be killer.


At least one of them is having a good time.  Sheeesh.


Budweiser

I know.  But he's entitled to drink whatever he likes.  And, although he prefers Bud light, he'll enjoy this, for now.


Young Mamie Taylor

Rye, Bitters, Ginger Beer, Lime

Delicious and refreshing.  A little tart but still packs a punch.


Templeton Perfect Manhattan

And it is perfect, for me at least.  I like them a little on the less sweet side, and this is how this one comes.


Water in a milk bottle.  As long as I don't have to drink out of it I'm OK with that.  On the flip side, beers served in mason jars is a huge fail.  Just stupid.  Feels all wrong as the rim of the jar touches your lips.  Icky.  Blech.  A total deal-breaker.


Parker House Rolls, Bone Marrow Butter

$4

!!!!!!!!  Right on  !!!!!!!

Hot, freshly made, buttery salty top, light and fluffy inside.  The bone marrow butter was superb.  As it melted inside the roll the butter turned into a meaty buttery sauce.  Pretty darn amazing, and a great start to the meal.  And an amazing price!  That's how you do that!



Crispy Chicken Skin

Wowzer!  Sprinkled with salt and sherry vinegar.  Tangy and salty and chicken-y.  Great crunch, not too greasy, but a little, the right amount.  Plenty to share and the right price too.  De-rish!


Scallop Carpaccio?

Not on the menu, someone I think likes us in the kitchen  :-O

Fresh, light, perfect after the chicken and rolls/butter.  It's like they can read our minds!  

This should be a tasting menu, three terrific plates in a row that compliment each other perfectly.  Balance, nice.


The view from our table.  No glass in the panes.  A gentle cool breeze flowing over the table.


Pig Ear Tostada

I enjoyed mine in one bite, a big bite.  3 come to an order.  Original and delicious.


Grilled Texas Quail

Deconstructed Cassoulet, Smoked Pork Belly.

I let the dudes enjoy the quail, I'm just cool like that, and I helped with the root veg, which were sweet and carmel-y and slightly smoky.  Obviously we liked this.



Charred Octopus


They called the sauce Olive Oil and Oregano Gremolata,  I call it beautiful.  The perfect citrus-herby partner for the char and flavor of this cephalopod.  


Soft and tender


On my trip to el baño I spied with my little eyes the kitchen, beyond a sliding glass door.  I could hear it calling to me, beckoning me to enter.  So I did.


A large very open kitchen, VERY open.  There was seating at the counter but I believe that this is used as the pass, unless they get full and need to seat someone there, or possibly VIP's?  At any rate, it's killer.  You can see all. 


Very well done Table No. 10

Bellissimo


Back upstairs our main courses have arrived.

Sogo-chan is having the whole Branzino (European Seabass).


De-boned table side.

If there was anything that wasn't absolutely perfect with the evening it was the plethora of small pin bones in this fish.  It didn't take away from the flavor nor experience of eating it, was just a bit of a nuisance.  


Whole grilled fish.  No sides as none are needed.  Perfectly cooked.  Soft sweet flesh of the sea.


24 Hour Short Rib was my choice.

It was as good as it looks.  Tender and juicy, a light sauce of braising liquid is glazed on top.  The right portion, at the right price. 


Shin-chan had the Smoked Duck Ragu.  House made pasta.  The sauce had a nice meaty flavor and it was delicious.  But, if you didn't know that it was duck I don't know that you could identify it as such, but I was kinda buzzed at this point and I only had a little taste which was mostly noodle, and that was divine.  Again, nice portion size.  If you want to take home a doggie bag when you dine out, this might not be your place.  Head to Hash-house and pig out.  If you want delicious seasonal food, served in reasonable portions, then do not look anywhere else.


Let's wash it down with a Scotch Tasting Flight!

I do not recall what this was, other than it was three scotch's from a distillery that the owner of had searched out failing or lost distilleries from eons ago, and is recreating their product.  I also could be totally full of shit.  


My desert, S'mores Doughnut

Somehow the waiter said out loud my order before I said it.  Hilarious and amazing.  

Again, absolutely all made on property.  Tasted like S'mores and Doughnuts.  Duh.


Perfection


Sticky Toffee Pudding

Looks great, I didn't try (if I did I don't remember  :-O)


Lemon Curd

This I DID try and it left me wanting more, so much more!  The lemon curd itself was such an explosion in my mouth, especially after all the savory/salty food we had eaten.  So full and bright, and visually you ate it long before it ever passed your lips.  Bravo.


Let's celebrate with another round of Whiskey!


Shin-chan, was it good?  Thumbs up?????


YES!!!!

Dear Table No. 10:

Thank you for the amazing dining experience.  I will be telling anyone and everyone about your place.  Please keep the fire and imagination and attention to detail going.  I want this to be my favorite new place for a long time.  

With all of my love and admiration,

DVA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers