OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Tacos La Mezcla, Taco Tuesday at Fall Brewery, North Park, San Diego, USA

It's Tuesday, I want a beer, I want food, and I don't want to drive.

Sounds like a perfect time to walk to my favorite new place, Fall Brewing Company.

Tonight, and I believe every Tuesday, the Tacos La Mezcla food truck is here serving up the goods.  Now, I'm generally not a big fan of food trucks as their food, even when awesome, is overpriced, which makes it not awesome.  This one though KILLS IT, as you will see.  Amazing flavors, reasonable price, super friendly people.  What else could you want?  Maybe their Yelp Site in Japanese?????  Take a peek.....



I'm in Tokyo, and the site auto translates for my location, and I'm super sure that there is a button somewhere to translate it back, but I can't find it, nor do I care too much.

Tacos La Mezcla

Love it


We ordered the Carnitas, Korean (of course), Fish, and they had a special of Chicken Barbacoa, and we also threw in some Potato Taquitos for good measure. 

Is your mouth watering yet?!?!?  Mine is cause I already know how great this is gonna be, and was!

Let's wash the wet mouth down with a beer while we wait, we are at a brewery....



Large, open space, plenty of beer making in the works.


This is Fall






A super cool, very local place.  One of the only breweries where I've actually seen them making beer, EVERY time I've been here!  Never, let me repeat, never have I seen this happen at any other local brew house.  Seems like other spots have midnight elves, or they do it behind closed doors.  

Not Fall.  You can smell the hops boiling, see the tanks being worked, they are always making beer.  Nice.  I like.



HG likes it too. 



Ray likes it too.  Back to work dude, make more beer!


Yeah, kegs.  Lots-o-kegs.


A short couple of minutes, super fast, and our food arrives.

Yes, they are small, street taco size, but look a little closer at the following shots.  They are pilled HIGH with stuff and whatnot.  And, the ones served on corn tortillas, have two tortillas, easy to split, just sayin.


Potato Taquitos.  More on this later.


They also include your choice of salsa, mild or spicy.  This is the spicy.

Big flavor of peppers-garlic-onion-spices, and just the right amount of heat, for me at least.  When I want spicy I want it to linger, just a bit after I'm done eating, and then I want it gone.  This is perfect.  It looks like tomatillo but it doesn't have that flavor.  I mean, it's there, but it's predominating. 


Carnitas

The focal point on this one is the pork, and you know you're eating pork.  They don't try to mask it with sauces and other items.  Don't get me wrong, you taste the onion and cilantro, but most of the bite is pork and corn tortilla.  A squeeze of lime and perfection.


Korean Asada

A huge change in favor from the Carnitas.  This one is all about balance.  A concert of flavors and items.  There's a lot going on but it works really well.  Cabbage, slaw, meat, sauce,  flower tortilla, yummmmm.



Chicken Barbacoa

What I learned from this one is that EVERY taco is crafted different from the last.  Unlike so many other taco shops/trucks, where toppings and tortillas are the same, Tacos La Mezcla crafts every one completely different, all elements, every time.

Chicken, fetta, some sort of sauce.  Wonderful


Fish

Grilled, big citrus flavor, tomato relish (or something like that), fresh and bright flavors. 


OK, potato taquitos

Honestly, these are made with flower tortillas, so they are more similar to floutas, but let's not split hairs.

Perfectly fried, fantastic guacamole that has the best and brightest flavors and perfect texture, not to runny and not too tight.  It hangs on the taquito long enough to get it to your face.  

GET IT TO YOUR FACE!  

Cream sauce, slaw, de-rish!  

 


I want to be here every Tuesday.  I want these tacos, and I want these beers.

Taco, eat one

DVA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers