OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Sausage and Meat - North City San Diego - USA


Anyone that focuses their love, attention, skills, or abilities in a singular direction inevitably will come out a success.  I believe this to be self evident.  Insomuchas life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are inalienable rights, so is the eating of meat.  Now, I'm not advocating the exclusivity of this item in ones diet, just like I'm not espousing that one should only go to the field when hungry either.  But balance, moderation, synergy, that's what your body needs.

Today, my body needed a sausage in it.....let's go get one!   :-O

- S&M -

Their name says sausage AND meat, but from what I saw there was mostly sausage, and what wasn't sausage was bacon or another pork by-products (pig's ears are really the only other thing I saw, but whatever).  However there are veggie options a-plenty so don't be afraid, this place has it all. 
Right off the bat I'm digging it, hard.  Someone has CLEARLY put some thought into the diner's experience here.  The following photos are a great example.  One of the biggest problems I have with the American dining system is getting someone's F'ING attention when you need something.  In Japan it's common for there to be an actual buzzer on the table to alert the wait staff.  It's also very very OK to yell out "excuse me" (in Japanese it Sumi-Massen), you just yell it out and multiple workers will answer "HAI" and come running, even in the nicest/classiest of places.

S&M has created these cards, which I will predict will spread like wild fire over the epicurean landscape.  You simply display how you are doing.  They come help, or leave you alone, as you wish.  Not too different from the meat cards at the Brazilian BBQ place in Brazil I recently detailed.

Let's take a look.

We've obviously just arrived.


This one says "I've ordered and don't need anything right now"


This one says "Please come to me!"  "I need something!"

And there he is....


I think you get the point.

Brilliant.  Love it.  Well done.  Let's eat!


Even though this place is a meat haven, and I also said I want to put a sausage in me, we are in need of some serious veggies (it was a long weekend in Mexico and our bodies are not feeling so great).

Brussel sprouts are not a unique menu item any longer, but they are becoming a requisite offering of sorts.  Not too difficult to do right, but easy to do wrong (does that make sense????)  What I mean is don't get too cute with them and they rock.  These ones rock, we loved them.  Fried and crispy, lightly seasoned, the additives are perfect; bacon, tomato, cheese, some light sauce thing.  Amazing. 



Pig's Ears

Boiled then deep fried till light and crisp.  Just the thinnest line of connective tissue runs the length of each little strip holding it together like a delicious porky high-wire cable.  I believe that honey is drizzled on (which honestly wasn't really needed.  A light salting would work also, but as they are these are still great).


We'll jump into this pool next time.  Can't wait.  It'll be soon.


A very cool logo spritz of biters on the foamy top of a drink.



This was a sort of spicy gin sour thing, with sriracha sauce?  Refreshing, light, tangy, spicy.


And Grilled Brocollini, with candied ginger and a sweet and sour sauce.  Again, my only complaint might be a little too saucy, but the sauce is delicious, so it's not that big of a complaint.  Fresh, healthy, yummy.  These are all hitting the spot perfectly.


This is totally my new new favorite spot, and it's right in the hood.  Original craft food and cocktails, SUPER nice people, comfortable atmosphere, a genius invented this!   The food here is delicious, as are the drinks and the atmosphere is an A+. 

It's not that they are super simple or even basic here at the S&M, it's that they aren't trying to do and be everything.   They have a concept and a focus that I hope they are able to keep.  If I see pizza and chicken wings on the menu then I may totally rethink this place.  For now, I dig it, and you should too.  At least try it, give em that.

Sausage
Get on it
DVA



1 comment:

  1. Yay!! This place is on my list!! I am even more excited to go eat there.

    ReplyDelete

Followers