OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Cali Baguette Express, Kearny Mesa, San Diego, USA

Hungry for lunch?  It doesn't matter where you're located, how much cash you have, or even what day it is, Cali Baguette Express can give it to you just how you like it, when you want it.
$3.50 a sandwich.  Baguettes made on the property.  Fresh ingredients.  Open every day.  Heck, they are even open till 9 pm so come on in for dinner!
For those of you unfamiliar, please allow me to introduce to you the Banh Mi. 
Banh Mi in Vietnamese simply means sandwich.  Period.  There is a classic expression of this generic name though that should normally include at least cucumber, fresh sliced jalepeño, cilantro, and pickled carrot/daicon (radish).  Over and above these standard ingredients feel free to load in whatever you like,  from rotisserie chicken to paté to the vietnamese take on headcheese and ham.  Pork, beef, fish, veg only, there is no limit or rules other than it must be fresh and delicious.
This baguette was baked within the last few hours and is light and fluffy on the inside and crispy and crackly on the outside.  A perfect French baguette to make a perfect Vietnamese sandwich.  Also, if you are unaware and wondering why the Vietnamese are making baguettes, the French occupied Vietnam from 1887 to 1941 when it fell to the Japanese during WWII.  Independence for the Vietnamese came a few years later.  So, not only is the baguette a big part of the Vietnamese culture but many other cultural and architectural influences from France exist today in Vietnam and with their people.  Possibly there will be more on that in an upcoming post :-O
Here is the traditional #1 Banh Mi at Cali B E.  Headcheese, pork, veg.

A little cock sauce and this sandwich isn't going to be around long.


Fresh and light and delicious.  I really can't emphasis enough how satisfying this is, and not overly filling either.  Looking at the size of the sandwich and the amount of bread it contains can be quite deceiving.  For me at least, it's just the right amount for an individual meal.  A meal with a big explosion of flavors.

 This is the rotisserie chicken, the # 5 I believe.
I hired a hand model for this next shot.  I wanted the sandwich to be held at the perfect angle, thus displaying the melange of ingredients in a fashion that best represents the internal combination of palatal delights.

Thanks ma'am.


The chicken in this Banh Mi is something altogether new and different to me.  Although the name implies juicy and roasty, turning gently over an open flame, this chicken has the fantastic flavor and texture of Carnitas, but made with chicken.  The bite is more dense than I expected, and I liked that it was.  The chicken was not hiding in this bread, it's plays an equal part to the bright fresh veggies, but there is an undeniable fried/Mexican element that really jumps out to you.  Very delicious.


This is the turkey with pesto.


What more can I say?  Awesome, amazing, terrific, can't wait for lunch again.


To reiterate, again and again and again, as many times as need be until you try this place.   No matter where you are, or what time it is, or how much cash you have, this is the place for you.

A true one of a kind find where everything, including the bread, is made fresh, on-site, to order, for you.

Do something good for your body

Cali Baguette Express

Eat it

DVA

1 comment:

  1. "Cali Baguette Express can give it to you just how you like it, when you want it."

    Thanks for turning me on with the description of a sandwich. I look forward to putting this in my mouth. (too much?) :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers