OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Caliano by Spinelli Take 2 - Monday Nights at Fall Brewing - North Park - USA



Mario is back, and back with a vengeance in North Park.  

Well, to be a bit more accurate WE'RE back at Fall Brewing, and it's a Monday night so that means Pizza Truck night!  (Mario hasn't gone anywhere...)

For those of you that missed this one the first time around please allow me to re-introduce you to Caliano by Spinelli, one of the best tasting, and absolutely coolest pizza dude, truck, event anywhere, anytime in San Diego and beyond.

If you didn't get it from the post title or the lead-in, Mario is at Fall Brewing in North Park EVERY Monday night dolling out his fresh and tasty offerings.  Pizza, sandwiches, salads, and more.  Great tasting fresh food, cooked in one of the coolest vessels ever built.

Our front row seats give us the feel of sitting in our backyard enjoying a BBQ with friends, and beer...  And no one has to do the dishes!


I need a pizza and I need one now.  There are a few special offerings tonight, along with all of the familiar ingredients that you could or would ever want on a pizza.  The house made sausage is one of my favorites and it also happens to be in one of the specials of the day, the sausage, mushroom, and truffle oil pie.  Feast with your eyes  :-O


A sprinkling of red pepper flakes and this pizza isn't going to be around long.


As Mario places the pie in front of us we are overwhelmed by the aroma of truffle and sausage, and dough and yeast and every fricken thing else that is bubbling on this plate.  In typical DVA fashion I dive in WAY too early, not waiting for the molten cheese to cool a bit.  Ehh, the skin on the roof of my mouth will grow back in a few days.


Perfection in dough form.  A perfect balance of toppings to sauce to crust.  Not one individual ingredient overpowering another.  Firm bottom (what?!?!) yet fluffy and light and with plenty of tooth, if you know what that means, and you should.  Please don't misunderstand my point of ingredient ratio.  It's not sparse by any means, it's just right.  Every bite leaves you wanting another, almost teasing your palate, tempting you to eat more.  And that's just what we want, MORE! 


So we order another one of the other specials of the day, The Meatball Sandwich.

The promotion of this item by Mario has me really looking forward to it.  I want this to be good.  Because I'm hungry, yes, but also because there are a lot of bad meatball sandwiches out there.  Some have great tasting meatballs but the wrong bread/roll, so it gets super soggy.  Or the bread is right but the balls suck and/or it's dry, or too much/not enough cheese.  Something, there's always something that makes it less than awesome.

I gotta believe that this dude knows his stuff.  At least I'm really really hoping he does.....


Mama-Mia!

This thing is loaded with delicious balls!  

I don't know who selected the bread (that's not true, it has to be Mario!) and I don't think he's making it, and he really doesn't need to because this is the perfect roll for this ball-sauce-cheese combo.   

Amaze-balls!


Just look at it!  Stuffed to the gills with meat!  And flavorful to say the least.  

The best part of all is that this is only $5

Yeah, $5

Crazy.  HG and I split one, and also a pizza and we were totally stuffed.  But stuffed with happiness.


Fall Brewing and Caliano by Spinelli

Mondays you can get both in one shot.  Any other day of the week and it's up to you to find them.  One thing is for sure, both are a must have.  If you aren't lucky enough to live within walking distance take an Uber, get a ride, take the bus, just get over here.

Great beer, great food, a comfortable environment with nice, happy people that are genuinely happy to see you.

Way to go Fall.

See you soon Mario!  

DVA



1 comment:

Followers