OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Pizza Barbone - Hyannis Mass - USA

 





A short 2-ish block walk away from Pop-Pop's Cape house resides what is touted as "wood-fired pizza".

And, from first glance it appears to be just that......  but is it???

They certainly have a legit Marra Forni oven, but this one in- act is primarily heated by gas, with a middle pedestal that can house a burning log or 2.  But, the heat is 100% coming from gas.

No hate on the gas, at all.  Pizza's like heat, but they don't care about where it comes from .  Yes, the heat from a wood fired oven tends to be drier than from gas, and coal is even drier than that.  Is that always good?  It all depends on the type of dough (not all dough is created equally).

But, I digress....


Gas or wood this place is 100% legit.

We sat at the pizza bar so that we could enjoy the show.




And we weren't the only ones enjoying themselves...

Vanta (his name) is totally killing it tonight.

As can see from the photos above, they are cranking out the pies, and they have a lot of cooks in the kitchen, but they seem to be "doing the dance" quite well.


Assembly line, thank you Henry Ford




Thanks Salt Bae


The oven is not only gas and wood, but the deck rotates as well.  The theory being that it will cook all pizzas evenly.  I'm not sure that I'm a fan of this as all of the Pizzaiolo's that I watch would pick every pie up when it neared completion and give it a little extra attention near the gas outlet.  However, what ended up happening is the pies are undercooked because they need to get them out before they pass by the front, and only when they pass the front, otherwise they'll need to make another rotation as the rear of the oven is inaccessible.  Most pies that I observed were (slightly) undercooked.


A shame because it would take them (the pies) to the next level if they could just stay in the oven  another 10-15 seconds.


Seeing this, I ordered ours a bit over done, please.  And it worked out fairly well.





Nice fold kid


Yumm, crispy on the outside and chewy and soft on the inside.


I would certainly declare this the best Neapolitan style pizza in Hyannis.

Kid friendly, great salads (sorry for no photo), yummy pies, decent wines (not for Luigi though...)

Grab someone's pie and put it in your mouth.

DVA









No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers