OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Friday, June 8, 2012

Chubby Wieners.....

Yeah, so the plan was to go to Hot Doug's for hot dogs in Chicago, but it was Memorial Day and Hot Doug's was closed FOR THE WEEK!  Duh.  Thank goodness for the interwebs who directed us to this fantastic place, with the great name, and best chili cheese fries I've ever had or dreamed of having.




Chubby Wieners
4652 N. Western Avenue
Lincoln Square, Chicago IL
(773) 769-1394
http://www.chubbywieners.com


Never had a chicago dog, and frankly not a big hot dog fan at all.  My favorite, if I must be honest, and I must, is at a baseball game.  Not the big foot long or sausage thing or whatever.  The shitty steamed wrinkly old little thing in the aluminum foil wrap.  Love em and can eat a dozen.  But I digress.

The plan was to have a Chicago dog, so that's what we had, and added chili cheese fries cause they sounded good on the menu for some reason.




First to the dog.  I enjoyed it.  I thought the balance of ingredients, the many ingredients, worked really well for me.  I cannot say that I tasted a hot dog or anything similar within this, this, this, salad roll.  But I enjoyed it, very much.  The roll was a bit soft if I can be a bit critical, and I can be.  But I imagine that this is how it is supposed to be as I have no reference point.  I liked it.




But this, this, this splendid basket of fantastic loveliness.  The fries has some sort of light batter or coating that was soo crispy and wonderful, and that crispiness played so fantastically with the nacho cheese and chili which had become a wonderful melange of silky smooth and deliciously sticky, beany, gooey loveliness.  If you are ever in Chicago you have to eat this stuff. Great food from a great named place.  Super cool.

DVA



3 comments:

  1. The dogs look fantastic but I like my fries virgin-esque. Dry seasoning is fine on fries like salt, pepper, parmasean, herbs, etc. The only liquid I will douse over fries is apple cider vinegar. Otherwise, sauces are for dipping only. That's why I could never get into chili fries. Too messy for me but I have no doubt you enjoyed these...for a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, how bout fries in a burrito?....... Seems to "blow" a hole in your theory Chow Young Guy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You obviously ran twenty miles after eating this 'fat-free' burritos, did you?

    ReplyDelete

Followers