OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Ramen, Period


I find it quite appropriate as I sit in my hotel in the south of Japan, looking out on the Pacific Ocean, children running along the beach, to sit down for a bit and post up my thoughts about Ramen and my visit to the Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum last November, 2011.

I got the idea from reading the flagship, debut issue of Lucky Peach, by David Chang and a cast of other characters.  Prior to coming across this fabulous periodical I had a passing fancy for this Japanese noodle.  I liked it but I really didn't truly understand it.  I thought there to be no better way then total emersion...  So during my visit to Tokyo I made some time for a lesson, or two, or three.




This place is promoted as the only food amusement park in the world.  After visiting I have no idea what the fuck they mean by that.  It seems like a place that is ALL Ramen.  You can eat it there, but it to go, but tools to make your own, trinkets, stuff, watch a movie about it, everything Ramen.  The showcase, however, and the main point, at least for me, was that there are 9 restaurants that showcase the 9 most popular versions of Ramen from all around Japan, and the restaurants are like small satellites of the originals from the various locations around Japan.

*****Brief break for explanation*****

OK, so there is only on real rule with Ramen.  And that is, there is no rule.  There is no one type of Ramen that is more true/authentic than another.  And EVERYTHING is OK in the bowl.  *****HOWEVER*****  If it goes in the bowl it should kick ass, and that's the rule.

I repeat

If it goes in the bowl it should KICK ASS

You usually see an egg, and it should be super flavorful, perfect and beautiful.  If not, then leave it at home.

You can put ground pork, mushrooms, bean sprouts, whatever, chicken, beef, I don't care.  But if it goes in the bowl it should _ _ _ _   _ _ _!!!!!



OK, break over.


So 9 restaurants.  My plan was to taste all 9, period, this visit.  I would do 3 bowl a day for lunch, for 3 days.


First up, Ryushanhai popular in Yamagata Japan.
Miso broth, dollop of some sort of paste that was flavorful, but I couldn't finger the flavor really (that's what she said...)  standard, average.  I give a 6 out of 10.






Next up #2, Ganjya, from Saitama Japan.
Was quite unique to me.  Was like Udon, and served separate noodles from the broth and you dunka nd slurp.  Great flavor, good meat, nice egg.   I give a 7 out of 10.


The third for this day was Toride, Tokyo.
I liked this one a lot.  The noodles were extra thin and the broth was fantastic.  A Tonkotsu broth (pork bones).  but what I didn't like was the bean sprouts.  Not my favorite in Ramen, but that's just me.  Was an 8 out of 10.




After this I was SUPER FULLLLLLLL, so I left and went to my hotel to rest.  I cleaned each bowl dry.  Yes, they were smaller bowls that normal, but not by much.


The second lunch started with #4, Taiho, from Kurume Japan.
Broth flavor was out of this world!  But other than that a little lackluster.  I rate a 6 out of 10.



#5 was Ideshoten, Wakayama Japan.
Super strong Miso flavor, very thick, not a fan.  A strong 5.




#6 was another very interesting and original version.  Komurasaki, Kumamoto Japan.
A layer of fried garlic layered the top.  Was delicious for about 4 bites, then it was too much.  The noodles were a bit firmer than the others and that was a nice touch as well.  Overall a 6.



#7 was Eki, from Sapporo Japan.
Can you say PORK?  Wow!  This packed a punch, a pork punch!  Ground pork, strong pork broth, and seemed like they added more pork flavor some other way as well.  When I finished this one I felt greasy for days, but SOOOOOOO good. Yumm!

An 8 for sure, all day.  I couldn't, and wouldn't, want to eat this more than once a month or so.  Felt like I ate a gallon of Hagen Das.  So bad in my body, but soo good going down my throat.



#8, Shinasobaya, Yokohama.
Perfection.
Please take a minute to study the bowl.  Just look.  Take your time.
Look how the noodles are placed perfectly, folded neatly, carefully.  The pork is layered and place with care.  A thin layer of fat is glistening around the surface.  The most balanced, perfect bowl of ramen I've ever had.  Was great.
I want to say 10, but that probably doesn't exist.  A solid 9. mmmmm.


A tough act to follow, and #10 just couldn't hold up.
Nidaime - Tsuya, Tokyo.
It tasted as milky as it looks.  I couldn't figure out what was going on in this bowl.  But bland is probably the best word I could find.  Or boring, that works also.



So there you go.  Eat ramen.  Try the different types, find your favorite.

Enjoy.

DVA






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers