OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Food in the Far East

Fall has arrived in Japan.....



Consistent with my last post on Japanese food, and most with times that I'm invited for a meal in Japan, there is no ordering, no consulting a menu, we sit and food arrives.  Small portions, many courses, endless procession of food.  But as I said, the portions are usually pretty small, so you don't really get too full, or OVER full.  But there ends up being a lot of food.  And some is quite interesting....






Uhmmm, yeah.

So that shit was sea snails.  The meat part was kind of OK, or at least not bad.  The brownish poop part at the end, from WAYYYYYY inside the snail tasted like POOP!  But it must have been brains or something cause the poop is probably somewhere near the exit...  

But I digress..  The location of the restaurant is the Prefecture of Niigata, west coast of Japan.  Niigata is known as the producer of the best rice in Japan.  And the best rice makes the best sake, or so I've been told.  Later many bottles were consumed.  But lets start with a little food first, and maybe a beer



You've already seen the appetizer, ha!  The next course was sashimi.  A mix of different fish and a shrimp.


Next was a sort of hot pot.  Everyone had their own individual pot.  Inside was....


The pale-ish grey stuff on top was bacon.  Under the bacon was a mix of veggies and tofu.  It was actually very good.



SAKE PLEASE!!!!   Along with the hot pot the first round of sakes were delivered.  A few I am familiar with, but not many.  


This on is my favorite.  Junmai Daiginjo


And then these too



Next was the fish course, cooked.  I think it was a red snapper, or something similar.  Very good.  A small mound of Daikon Radish accompanies the fish.  You pour a bit of soy sauce on the Daikon and eat alternating with bites of fish.




And then we had these....



This was a cold dish with mainly Lotus Root.  Also very good.


And then we drank this one...


And finally desert.  It was a grapefruit gelatin.  Presented in the rind of the grapefruit.  Perfectly molded and sectioned.  It looked amazing and it tasted great.  A great way to end the meal.  



I think I might have missed a few courses of food, but that happens after the sake rolls out.

I hope you enjoyed.

DVA



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers