OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pizza - Tokyo - Neapolitan -

Yes, I'm back in Japan.  And this time, knowing that there was good pizza, I came armed with a list of places, must try place.  The first one out was Seirinkan in Nakameguro, near Shibuya, sort of.

Here's the dude.  His name I think is Susumu Kakinuma.  I say I think because I don't speak much Japanese and he spoke less English.  We exchanged cards (yes I have Yourpiemymouth cards.  Suck it monkeys!!!!!)  Anyway, he gave me his and we stared at each other till I bowed and walked away, kinda awkward, but that's my life at times.  Back to the place.

Super cool looking industrial, almost gothic oven.  Looks like it could have come from the middle ages or Lord Of The Rings or something, pretty different.  Most places have the plastered dome shaped oven so I thought this kinda set him apart.


Here's his work area, fairly standard setup for Neapolitan pizza.  


Now the pie.  On my first glance I was like "Holy shit that's a lot of oil!!!!"  WTF happened dude?  Did you look away when you were pouring and because it was going to a Gaijin it's OK?  Looked kinda shocking, so I ordered a beer.....




and then I ate.  And actually it didn't taste or feel all that greasy.  If my eyes were closed I don't think I would have guessed there to be more oil than normal.  And, just so that we are clear, it is quite normal, even required, to pour oil on a margherita pizza, this just looked like a lot, but wasn't, and I already said that I know......

the crust was fluffier and lighter than others I've had but still a pretty standard Neapolitan Pizza. 


        


About a 1/4 of the way into the pizza I took a closer look around and WTF did I see???

This!


A photo, actual photo on the wall, just taped up of Adolf Fricken Hitler!  Right in front of where I was sitting.  WOW!  I don't know what it means or what the purpose was, if there was any.  But it felt like the owner had this photo and thought it would be cool to tape it up, and it was, and super duper random.  I think I even laughed out loud.  Crazy shit.  I got a few weird looks so I went back to eating.

And eating, and eating, and my stomach started to hurt.  And then later the next day when I had to dress for my meetings, my pants seemed a little tight, and it hit me, all this damn pizza is really, maybe, possibly, getting to me.  I don't feel all that well, kinda sluggish, and my pants not fitting is a NO-NO!  So you may see a few less pie posts and more of other food here in the near future, just to kind of get a handle on things a little over here.  I even dumped the rest of the pizza places in I had planned to check out.  And there are MILLIONS in Tokyo.  Seems like Neapolitan pizza is the latest big thing.  EVERYONE is a pizza chef.  A little too out of control if you ask me.   And, as the season continues to change maybe it's time for more ramen, etc...  Yes, ramen, I love ramen.  And Soba.  And Udon.  And Pho.  Whoa, I could maybe even rename this blog to 

"Your noodle my mouth"

Whoa!  Me thinks that that might imply something TOTALLY different!  I think we'll just keep it in the pie and dabble around as need be, what do you think?

DVA



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers