OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Friday, October 19, 2012

Ivan Ramen - Tokyo - Japan

Mmmmmmm Ramen

The inspiration to seek out this shop came from the debut issue of Lucky Peach, the food/cooking/life mag by David Chang and others.  The debut issue was 100% about ramen.  EVERYTHING about ramen, where to eat it, how to make it, what types there are, etc......   And there was an article about this place, Ivan Ramen.  An American (Ivan Orkin) making Ramen in Tokyo.  And really making it, noodles and all.  So, lovin me some Ramen long time, I just had to find this place on my next trip to the Land of the Rising Sun.

Ivan Ramen is located approximately 5 minutes walking from the Rokakoen Station on the Keio JR Line leaving Shinjuku.  Not too difficult to find, especially with this sign hanging over the doorway.


Here is a poster outside the ship showing Mr. Orkin.  And alas, there was no Ivan present during my visit, which made for an interesting time trying to order, take photos, etc...  So I just went for it in typical DVA fashion.



Ramen crafting workstation


Slurpers



As with most fast food or casual dining establishments in Japan, there is a machine just outside the door where you make your food and drink selections, put money in, and a ticket comes out which you take to the counter and then take a seat.  Soon after you sit your food arrives in front of you.  Often this is much faster than any fastfood restaurant in the US and A.  I'm sorry that I don't have a photo of the machine to show you because it would have made explaining how I selected the wrong Ramen easier.   There are normally about 8 or 10 rows of buttons along the top that have lights in them that eluminate when the selection is made.  And then the rows go down about 20 rows each.  The top rows have a photo and the lower ones do not.  I think that the standard option is on top and the modifiers are below, maybe.  So, I looked across the top and ordered a Tonkotsumen Ramen, and the photo showed a bowl of ramen.  Tonkotsu is pork broth so I thought I was safe.  To me I believed that this must have been a variation on this type.  

No - Wrong

The Ramen I picked was great though.  You eat it like Soba, picking a few strands up, dipping in the broth, slurp into your mouth.  Over and over till you're done.  Egg was perfect, broth was Shio (salt) and was light but nice.  The noodles were handmade and thicker than normal Ramen but had a bite to them, al dente if you will.  All in all  very yummy.  





And then a super nice american couple, from LA or OC, sat down next to me with the Ramen I wanted, or intended to order.  I asked the cook what it was, and he answered with something that I simply could not comprehend.  I shook my head in confusion.   The guy next to me interpreted a bit and then the cook came around from the counter, walked me to the machine, and showed me the selection.  We both smiled and spoke som gibberish and nodded a lot.  Then, I went for it, BAM!  

I never know when, or if, I'll be back in Japan, so I live every trip like it's the last.  

Bowl #2 coming right up.


Surprisingly, or maybe not, it tasted very similar to the other one.  More porky maybe, and you can see the layer of fat (flavor) floating on top.  It was good and I cleaned the bowl. 


Best bowl of Ramen I've had in Japan, no.  Good Ramen, yes.  Fun and exciting finding my way there, eating, meeting people, for sure.

Ivan Ramen, you gotta try it.

DVA



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers