OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Friday, October 9, 2015

Cubana Cafe - Brooklyn - USA




Nestled in the Carroll Garden neighborhood of Brooklyn there exists a wonderful little gem of a restaurant providing not only authentic Cuban cuisine, but an authentic look and feel as well.  Maybe nestled is the wrong word to use in reference to Brooklyn?  Sounds a little to cuddly, but I'm going to go with it anyway.

As you can see from the above photo, this place catches your eye from either side of the street.  It has the look and feel of Cuba, as I imagine it.  And this is by no means a Cuban or Latin part of town.  This is full on white bread.  Nail salons and barbershops, corner grocery stores and sandwich shops.  The Cubana Cafe is a one of a kind gem in this neighborhood, except for the second location about a mile away...


Even though fall is in full swing and the storm outside has brought rain and temps in the 50's, as soon as you sit down you feel the beach and a sunny day just beyond your gaze.  


The decor makes you feel as though you've been transported back in time and space.  As if this restaurant had been dis and re-assembled right here for your and your pleasure.  I have no concept of whether or not the decorations are authentic or not, but I feel it, and I love it.


It's been a long day already, and it's just lunch time now, and we spy a bar, and we're on vacation,
so let's enjoy a refreshing beverage!


The waitress recommends what she claims is an authentic Cuban drink, the Mojito....

I'm not an expert on the local beverages in Cuba, nor am I at all positive on the validity of our server's claim, but this is refreshing and delicious.  Tart and light, minty and clean.  A good starter for sure.  We are mainly here for the food though.  It's after midday and we are ready to eat.  Let's do it!


Cuban chips and salsa, i.e., fried plantains and a cuban version of a sofrito and salsa.  It was OK.
It's hard to get excited about this complimentary offering when what we really want is on the way. 


Agreed, not an appetizing photo.  But what a great bowl of soup.  I love black beans.  Everything about them.  The health benefits, the versatility, the ease of cooking with them, the price (when I'm cooking them at home), and especially I love them in soup.  

Potaje Soup

Cumin, oregano, a floater of garlic toast on top.  It definitely has a very black bean forward taste.  They are not trying to hide what this is at all.  It's served very hot, so be careful.  Blended to a smooth consistency, no floating things (other than the garlic toast).  Light yet thick and hearty at the same time.  The two of us killed this in just a few ticks of the clock.


Palomilla Hanger Steak Sandwich

Pounded hanger steak marinated in garlic, lime and onion with chimichuri sauce.

Let's take a closer look...


A beautiful sandwich.  The steak was pounded and seasoned and cooked soo expertly that you can easily bite right through.  The bread was crisp on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside, soaking up any and all of the juices from the meat and chimichuri.  The sides were nice too, not flashy or over done, just there when you needed/wanted a different texture or a break from the sandwich.  
Nicely done Cubana Cafe.  Now I'm Super Duper looking forward to the next plate....


Cuban Sandwich

Roast pork, sliced ham, Swiss cheese, sliced pickle, chipotle mayonnaise

Ohhhhh ma-ma, this looks and smells amazing.


Roasted and pulled pork resting inside all of the traditional flavors of a cuban sandwich, i.e., Swiss cheese, ham, pickle, toasty bun.  Smashed flat from the panini press, warm and delicious.  I could eat many of these, and often.  If I lived near this place they'd see me every day.  Heck, I'd probably even have my name on a booth, permanently reserved just for little ol' me.


CUBANA CAFE!!!!!!!

Sofaking good

Whenever you are near, anywhere near, NYC you gotta check this place out.

After our food rested a bit we decided to have one more beverage before braving the rain and wind outside to make our way back to the hotel.  And what do we spy on the menu?  Caipirinha!  The national drink of Brazil!  

Hello again Brazil!  See you next week......

Stay tuned for the next post, coming soon!

DVA




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers