OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Gula Gula, Ipanema, Rio de Janiero, Brasil



My epic day is coming to an end and I'm tired and hungry.  This day has brought 3 flights over 24 hours and upon arrival in Rio I'm headed straight into a 2 hour meeting, with only time for a quick change into my pro-duds prior.  No hotel, no shower, no nada except for fresh clothes.  Now don't get me wrong, all of this and more is well worth the discomfort to bring me to my first trip to Rio.  Beautiful Rio.

Strewn along the beach are endless stalls selling fresh coconuts.  The water inside is what the locals use to freshen up after a long day in the office, plane, or on the beach.  Machete'd by hand, refreshing and revitalizing to say the least.  


The next plan of action is food, and then bed.


Gula Gula

No idea the meaning (if there is one) I only know that the food will be great.


A standard salad is my starter.  It is fresh and light, a solid base for whats to come.



This is the special of the day.  It's a sirloin steak that was named something like "chorizo" but the explanation and translation told me that there was to be bone marrow melted on top.  My vision and sense of smell told me that it would be delicious.  


This is half a baked potato with Parmesan cheese shredded and melted on top, including a bit of melted butter beneath.  A new one for me and it was terrific. Who wouldn't like a cheesy potato? 


Now, I didn't see, and still don't, any evidence of bone marrow.  But this absolutely was one of the best steaks I've ever had.  Texture was firm but not tough, big meaty flavor (which is good because it's a steak  :-O) and hot and juicy.


The dessert was weird.  Delicious but weird. 

It was ice cream and a tart with molten dolce de leche cream inside.  The cream was the weird part. To me it tasted like beef.  Not super strong but definitely a meaty hamburger fat/grease flavor.  Not at all appealing, and kind of unsettling.  It is also very possible, dare I say likely, that I was the weird part in the equation.   Maybe I need some sleep.....Maybe I need to re-set.  It's been a long day.


From the Two-Brothers at the beach to the Christ Redeemer on the mountain, Rio is a beautiful and enticing city.  Bustling with people and culture, this is a city that is alive.  You can feel the pulse wherever you go.  I felt it griping me with it's claws as I snuck out the morrow, like a thief in the night.

I'll see you again Rio

Wait for me.

I'll be back

DVA




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers