OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Lefty's Chicago Pizzeria, North Park, San Diego, USA



Once upon a time, in a town just across the border, on an unmarked street, in an unnamed bar, 
I met a man.  

Wait!  

It's not that kind of story.  Down in Mexico, in a bar just north of La Fonda HG and I DID in fact meet a guy and he told a very outlandish story, and that's what I want to re-tell, to you, now.

The subject within said unnamed bar, not surprisingly, was pizza.  What's the best place?  What's the best style?  Why is the word "best" stupid (that was mainly my participation), toppings, crust, blah blah blah.  I naturally offered up a YourPieMyMouth card and presented myself as the resident expert, of which most took no notice, standard.  Then, out of nowhere, some dude at the end of the bar said that Lefty's was the best pizza in San Diego.  Uhmmmm, WHAT?!?!?!?  I immediately corrected him and said "the best Chicago style deep dish pizza in San Diego was Berkeley".  To which he responded with "I didn't say deep dish".  Wait, what just happened?  You mean that you would go to Lefty's and get NOT the deep dish?  It's a Chicago restaurant, but don't get that?  Ridiculous. Borderline insane.

Mr. Dude said "trust me, try it.  Order the thin crust but you have to get it well done".  

More crazy shit.  Thin and well done?!?!?!?  La cuenta por favor, we are outta here.  A crazy bar filled with idiots.  So we left.

And it's been eating at me ever since.

The following is a tribute to my new favorite pizza, the Lefty's Thin Crust Well Done......


Turns out the Dude was right.

This is one of those rare occasions when the anticipation, the obsession, the endless analysis actually pays off.  

This is pepperoni, sausage, onion.

I love their use of red onion and the portion of pepperoni is endless.  You can't see the sausage but it's under the cheese, the mountains of cheese.  

This is a loaded down pie.  It physically weights a lot, enough for 6 people easy.  It's also cut into small squares, which may be OG Chicago style, but I don't know.  I know that for this pie having small squares works.  It's definitely not a gimmick, this evolved out of necessity and I like it.


Another thing I like, besides everything, is the sauce.  It's big and bold, tangy and delicious with strong flavors of oregano and basil and tomato.  It's not overpowered by the cheese, etc..  It's just great.


Who likes cornmeal on the bottom?

ME!!!!!

The crust is firm and rigid and very much able to hold up to the ingredients up top.  It's not dense and thick and tough though.  It's easily chewable and is the right dough for this pie.  There is crunch and pull and a subtle yeasty component that adds more depth to the overall eating experience.


Hands down this is my current favorite pie and I can't wait to have another (and I'm stoked that there's half of it still leftover in the fridge....)

Finishing this meal off with homemade gingerbread cake makes this one of the best days EVER!

Moist and light yet very big gingerbready flavor.  Clearly a pastry chef made this.  

Am I at a restaurant?  Some new place still unforeseen?

Nope.  Just happily at home.

DVA


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers