OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Dinner in Tokyo

I am somewhere in Tokyo.   

A huge city, gazilions of people, endless streets zigzagging to nowhere and everywhere at the same time, countless restaurants, choices that are to many to list.  A taxi, the subway, we walk, turning left then right then right again, over and over and over, meandering through the crowds, passing door after door, finally ending here.  A few Japanese characters painted on the wall, the door opens, down we go.  

A very simple setting, an old couple hard at work.  She is the server, he is the cook.  Half way through the meal a post-teen shows up to help with the dining room, which contains only about 6 tables.  The decor is stark, the focus is not the ambiance, other than the jazz music playing very loudly in the kitchen, which is open to the dining room.  This place is all about preparing and serving great food.

A wonderful meal, awesome drinks, great company.

Enjoy



We must always start with beer.  This I like



This was very similar in flavor to pickled herring, but obviously more refind and super delicious


Potato salad.  I was kind of like "WTF???"  Really?  Potato Salad? Until I tasted it.  Soo good.


The menu is created fresh every day.  Hand written.  Creative and delicious.

Shochu

A Japanese distilled alcohol.  I was drinking it on the rocks.   Others mixed about half and half water.  We killed 3 bottles I think, and not small bottles either.  I liked this stuff!!*#&#!!!!!!!


Yeah, we had fun


Sashimi
Tuna belly, red snapper, squid, giant clam (I think)


Looks like Wagu beef




Freshly grated wasabi


Sea Urchin


A shit ton of it



Creamy and delicious


Some sort of stir fry.  Scallops, shrimp, mushrooms, asparagus, garlic cloves, etc...

This was my favorite dish of the night.




Salmon

I think THIS was my favorite actually!



Uhmmm, yeah, THISSSSSSSSS  was totally my favorite!  So tender and flavorful.  Not sure if I've had a better, more perfectly cooked, aweome tasting piece of cow ever.   Terrific!





The silver and greyish one is Mackerel, the brownish is a type of Sea Eel

Both were great





A really good trip, a really great meal.

Peace out from Tokyo

DVA


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers