OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Japan Air, Business Class

I wish I knew how to say "Free Upgrade"  in Japan, cause that's what this was and it was nice.

But let's back up a little so I can give a bit more of the story...

I was headed back to Japan, and going via JAL again, the San Diego to Tokyo direct flight.  This time, unlike the last flight a few weeks ago, the Dreamliner was back in service, bigger, better plane than the previous one.  And, it was JAL, so everything is awesome and the attentants are nice and  helpful and everything is just, well, Japanesey.  I like.  And so, I got upgraded, for free, at the check-in counter.  Not sure why or how, but I did.  It looked like coach was oversold and they needed to move me up to make room for other paying passengers, and business class was only about half full.  Man, I hope this happens on the way back, cause this shit was awesome!

Let's start with the comfort

Fully adjustable seat, folding all the way down to a bed


Nice suede slippers


Cardigan and Bose headset to use for the flight

Loaner cardigans???  Was kinda weird, but hey, comfort is comfort



Warm towel for my face


No window shades.  You simply touch a button and the windows darken

???? I was like, how does that work ????


Yes, please bring me the drink cart


Amuse-Bouche

Carrot puree with sea urchin and bread sticks
and
Potato salad with chicken teriyaki

Both were really delicious


Specialty cocktail for this route (SD to Tokyo)

"Michizane"
Plum wine and gin mixed with lime juice

Was really good 


For dinner I selected the Japanese dinner.

Rather than explain what was what, small bites of many things, here's the program so you know the players:


Before


And after


It also came with braised beef, rice, miso soup



a little tea to wash it down


Coconut pudding


Mid-flight I enjoyed a cheese plate and some wine


I also had a truffle a bit later


JAL is great

Business class (free upgrade) is great

Traveling is great

See the world, eat food

DVA



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers