OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Osaka, Japan, Killin It


Osaka, we have arrived

The above photo is a teaser, a prelude, a glimpse of the awesomeness yet to come

The shinkansen pulls into the station, just a mere hour plus from Okayama.  Osaka is a much bigger city than Okayama and although it's still quite early the streets are teeming with people.  


Along the path to the hotel there are many sights.  There are things to eat, people to look at, architectural wonders abound at every turn of the head.  Maybe next time I'll actually remember to take a photo so that you can see for yourself....I'm evolving, growing, learning.  Thanks for your patience.

My new IPhone cover.  You like?


In the basement of my hotel, the ANA Osaka, in the running for the best hotel I've ever stayed at, there is the World Beer Museum, so naturally I had to partake.


I just wish I had more photos than the menu and this add for Palm, with the word Brabant on it, which also happens to be the name of a great bar/restaurant in South Park that is Belgian everything, beer, food, decor.  A great spot.

But now let's move on


A really good looking cock


No comment


And now on to dinner, and fresh is the key word of the night.

Fish


Fish


More fish


Yes, those were dinner.

This place specializes in sushi, sashimi, sake, and shochu

First though, let's have a look at the menu


Right

We'll leave the ordering up to Michiko and Yasuo, who of course surprise us, and pleasantly so, with beer and fried stuff to start!  Deep fried fish bones and fins, and it's great.


Happiest guy in Osaka, other than me


The walls and ceiling are covered with signs telling about the shochu they have to offer.  Bottles also line the walls and counters.


Many


Lots


Endless


Another nibble

Radishy stuff with a nice mayo-sauce.  Very fresh and light


Sashimi.  Super fresh and amazing


ALIVE!  
Not just raw/uncooked but alive, and still kicking!  Well, at least for the few minutes that they were on our table.  Michiko was not having it.  Not to fear, Yasuo-san and I would send them down the hatch!


YUMMMM


The next one is more of an after shot (thought).  It hit the table and we killed it.  Was a fish fillet or collar of some sort and a garlic-y ponzu sauce.  

Oishii


Chawanmushi!  

One of my favorite things in the whole world.  Steamed custard with stuff on the bottom.  Maybe a small piece of fish or a potato or ginko nut or something, just a thin pile though, like a little surprise after a few bites of custard.  

Sofaking good


BOOOOOOOOM!


Yes, just soak that photo in.

It's tuna skeleton, after being filleted.

Japanese version of baby back ribs.

Served with spoons so that you simply scrape between the bones and scoop out the flesh, quick dip in soy, down the hatch.  I've never seen or heard of this before.  Amazing and fun.







So thirsty....


Michiko!!!!!



And then we flipped it over and ate the other side.

Fish ribs

Who would have known?

DVA





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers