OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Sunday, May 24, 2015

82 Ale House - Haggis and a Pint - Akihabara - Tokyo - Japan



I know that the title says Hub British Pub, and so does the photo above, and so does the website, but please just believe me that the place I'm in is named the 82 Ale House.  From what I gather they have many locations all over Japan and other countries possibly and some locations are called Hub and others 82 Ale House.  I don't get it either, sometimes you just have to go with it.

Speaking of going with it, I'm out and about trying to find a place to watch the UFC fight prior to my going to a Sumo match, which will be the next post (complete with video....wait for it  :0))  So, to make a long boring story a lot shorter, I walk away from the Metro station and try to find this pub that I think I know the whereabouts of, and after an hour it's super obvious I do not.

I did see this awesome sight though, WTF?!?!?  It's the free smoking area!  This guy wants you to stop in and enjoy a puff!  OK....

  
Anywho, back to the story.   I make my way back to the station and before giving up completely I ask someone, they point up, there it is IN THE METRO STATION!  Argggg.  I make my way there, and there is no fight.   Enough of this sheit, pour me a pint!  Let's have a few beers, lunch, and then sumo!


Wait for it


Ahhhh, refreshing and delicious.


I'm not only thirsty but super hungry as well.  I ask the bartender "what is good, what should I not miss?"  He responds "Haggis"  without hesitation. Hmm, what???  In Japan I'm going to have Haggis?  Oooooh, it can't be good right?  

As confirmation of the above I'd like to offer possibly the worst photo ever taken and posted on the internet.  But if you look close you will see listed atop the Whiskey Food section, Haggis.  And for only $3.  Yes sir, I would like that.


The smallest portion of Haggis is presented with the creamiest mash, and a dripper of whiskey to spritz atop as you wish.

It was delicious.  More than delicious.  If I knew that word I would use it.  For those of you not familiar, Haggis is ground up sheep innards.  Kidneys, hearts, guts, stuff, then boiled inside the stomach (traditionally).  I can't imagine that they are doing all of that whole process here, in a small bar in a train station, but they might.  If I could only speak the fucken language I might know that, right?  Idiot.  Some day I might though.


I like Haggis.  

I liked this Haggis (might be more accurate).  It was not chewy or stringy or off-tasting at all.  Seasoned well, meaty flavor, like a loose meatloaf, smooth and rich, or even a beef sausage taste. Well done Japan, well done.

 Next up, my new best friend and I are going to take you to a Sumo match.


Will this kick ass?  How can it knot.

Coming next, the Summer Grand Sumo Tournament, Tokyo Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers