OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Moto-i Ramen and Sake House (With a White Caste Chaser) - Minneapolis MINN - USA

Once upon a time in a land far far away there lived a group of people, people that had the desire and thirst to create something not of the land.  It's not that the people traveled far to make this something, nor was the thing wholly new, but the combination of the land and the thing together is what was original.  This land is called Minnesota and this thing is called Sake.  In the native country of Japan this Sake is called Nihonshu.  In application they mean the same.

Allow me to introduce you to Moto-i, Ramen and Sake House.


http://www.moto-i.com

I am amazed by the fact that, in Minneapolis, there exists a Ramen House and Sake Brewery, in San Diego we don't even have this!  The location is not in downtown, and not being a local I won't really try to direct you here as the Internet and smart phones abound with directional options.

Although we are starting with water this is only because we haven't made our Sake selections as of yet, and we're thirsty just having flown in.


In his inaugural episode of YPMM is Young Master Casey.  Handsome lad that he is is ready for a drink!


We settle on tasting flights.  There are about 6 offerings that you can pair in threes for $10.  

The flavor  and "mouthfeel" spectrum of the house Sake's are quite diverse.  And let me add that they ONLY offer their own Sake's.  Some are sweet, others are dry, some are thick and deeply intense, others are light and crisp.  Very impressive for Minnesota, or anywhere outside of Japan honestly.


The prep for our Ramen experience arrives


The obligatory Shishito Peppers arrive.  Seasonal and delicious, these peppers are slightly spicy, lightly salted, and very good for the digestion.


Not that these guys need any introduction, but they are Edemame, steamed soy beans.  Again, these are salty and bright.  All this salt is getting us ready for more Sake and Ramen!  


The decor is super Japanese and super cool  Hand chalked panels surround the dining area describing various Japanese-ness-es, from Sake making to Sumo wrestling.


And then the ramen arrives.


OK, so the inspection begins and at this point I want to be snobbish and critical, but let's start positive.  It's good ramen.  I like the noodles for both their flavor and texture.  They aren't making them but that's OK, they are good.  The pork is also delicious and well done.  There appears to be 3 types in the bowl, loin, belly, and a straight fat chunk of which I am stoked about.  It is also very possible that the chunk fell from the belly.  At any rate, it's good.  The only thing not killer, to me at least cause Y-MC and HG liked it, is the broth.  I felt the flavor was very singular in nature, almost like it was boiled soy sauce.  On the whole though I liked it and if I was a local I'd be here ALL THE TIME!


More coolness for your viewing pleasure.


And then a very Japanese thing happened, but we turned it on it's head....

Often, after dinner in Tokyo we will stagger out of the restaurant and bust in to the nearest ramen shop to top off the tanks.

Here in Minnehaha we discovered that HG has never had a White Castle...  WHAT?!?!?!?!  Y-MC also adds that his only enjoyment has been the frozen variety from the grocery store.

A travesty this sure is that must be corrected, and now!


On the way to the airport to pick up H-Fan we spied said White Castle and crossing several white lines we enter the drive-thru.  Of all these selections we are in need of none.  None other than a bag of sliders.  8 please, half cheese and half not!


Hi Window guy!  Thanks for the hookup!


They are kind of soggy and small, but that's kind of what they're supposed to be right?  You can literally eat a dozen and not feel terrible, unless you just had ramen and are headed to dinner with the rest of the family.  For us we are using them as an after lunch mint, applied like a breath freshener.


The offered theme is that craft is better than quantity, speaking of Moto-i of course.

Eat more ramen

Drink more Sake

Share a meal with a loved one

Love some one

Skip the White Caste though

DVA

1 comment:

  1. This is a really super post. Must admit that you are amid the best writer I have read. I appreciate your making the effort to discuss this class of article.
    Noodle in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers