OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Caliano by Spinelli - Mobile Wood Fired Pizza And More - San Diego - USA

What do you get when you mix an Italian woman and a San Diego man and you live in a pasta shop in Naples?  Answer: A super cool dude that loves life, people, and expressing that through food.

Please allow me to present to you Caliano by Spinelli.  

An awesome combination of California and Galiano (I am guessing).  The Spinelli name comes from Mario's Maternal Grandmother.  Mario being the mastermind behind this super killer operation. 



Food truck, mobile pizza oven, catering operation, cooking classes, etc...



Once again the scene of the crime is Fall Brewing, and I'm sure it's no coincidence that another bitchin food truck is parked out front again.  Whoever is doing the scheduling around here deserves some kudos.

The truck, although super cool, is not the main hook.


This badass contraption is!

Mobile pizza oven.  Yep, this is gonna be cool, you can just feel it.


The previously mentioned dude is Mario, accompanied by his super cool son.  A tag-team of sorts, one managing the money the other flipping out the pies.  You can just feel it, these guys know how to get it done!


The ever watchful eyes of Hey-Zeus gaze down on the action.  This painting is actually from the restaurant that Mario's mother (or grandmother, I don't recall exactly) used to operate.


Let's turn out some pies!



The sauce is simply tomatoes.  Nothing else. Italian and ground.  No salt, oil, nada.



Bocconcini draining in the sink, removing as much moisture as possible yet remaining fresh and full of flavor.



Lightly sautéd onions.


Pepperoni and sausage and red peppers are added, perfect.


Parmesan and dried oregano complete the toppings.


Well, maybe we add some chili oil as well :-)


Into the oven we go!


Voila!


I like the fact that it's not smothered in cheese.  Just enough but not overpowering.  It should all be about flavor of the dough and sauce, AND the cheese of course, but it's all about balance not cheesy overload.


A very nice yeasty taste of the dough, a little pull and frankly I'd want just a touch more, but this is definitely the real deal Naples style pizza, from a mobile oven on a trailer.  You (Mario) get mega points for that!


OK, that was the sausage pepperoni etc... now for a Bone Marrow, Quail Egg, and Fig Jam pie.  Sounds out of bounds, but I say let's go for it!


The dough is brushed with olive oil and slightly pre-baked.


Then the bone marrow is roasted in the oven, covered, for about 15 mins.



And then the covering is removed and they go in for another 5-10 minutes.  And this is all done pretty much to order, or at least 2 orders at a time.


This is one of the coolest pizza related photo I think I own....


The bones are stripped of their marrow and applied to the dough.


Spreading...


Quail eggs, quite obviously.



Back in the oven for a few seconds or so, just to cook them ever so slightly.



Fig jam.




And then, WOWZER!

Honestly, although the thought of this pizza was attractive, the flavors just didn't come through me.  The previous pie was better composed, at least for me, but I am an admitted purest when it comes to pizza, burgers, food in general.  I do want to counter this with the fact that MANY people were talking about the Bone Marrow pie while we were here, so it's a big hit.


If you ever see these guys or this contraption in your hood, you have to pull over and just check it out.  Great pies, friendly conversation, uniquely refreshing food yet familiar at the same time.

Ciao Mario!  Ben Fatto!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers