OK, Here we go..... I think it only fair to start with this photo as this trip to Tokyo, and the inspiration of these two guys with me in the photo, really kicked off my interest in exploring food, photographing said eats, and sharing/explaining my impressions of my experiences. So, to you David Chang and Anthony Bourdain, Cheers, and thanks. As I begin I think it only fair to explain a bit of what my purpose with this blog is. As you know, I do not participate in Facebook, and I wont go into why here, but I NEEDED a vehicle to communicate and connect with those in my life, both near and far. As the name implies, this will primarily be a blog about pizza. However, as this is mine, I will feel free to do and say as I damn well please, as it pleases me. So I hope to not offend or tiptoe too far over the line of appropriateness, but if I do, that's just too fucken bad. Enjoy. Pizza, food, life experiences, thoughts, feelings, rants, and more food. This is what you will find here. Please feel free to share and pass along to anyone you think might have an interest, as I hope you will as well. Sincerely yours, DVA

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Hanna's Gourmet - Adam's Ave - San Diego - USA



A gem of a find, right in the hood.  This place renews my hope in the San Diego food scene.  Herein lies an actual restaurant, with a chef owner who is actually in the kitchen, designing the menu/recipes, cooking the food, overseeing the staff, making every diner's experience the best it can be.  And not just any menu, this menu is as diverse as is our planet.  Ever evolving, changing with the flavors of the cultures that Hanna herself knows and enjoys.  Each recipe is crafted for uniqueness, meaning that there is not simply one palate of flavor available.  The Greek offering tastes of Greece, the African of Africa, so on, so forth.  A truly wonderful dining experience every time I've been here.  The only thing that upsets me about this place is that I haven't tried it sooner.

A nice crisp refreshing glass of wine to start.


Pear Salad

This salad is a very typical offering at many restaurants these days.  The Gorgonzola and dried cranberries are not original but the Hazelnuts are, and they an exciting addition, not only texturally but their flavor sings in beautiful harmony with the other items on the plate.


Caesar Salad

Again, a standard offering, yet the Hanna twist is the parmesean cup/bowl/scoop that craddles the salad.  Bellissimo.

When people see and select a Caesar Salad on the menu, that's what they want, but you can still make it interesting without compromising the integrity of the dish or the "relating" to the dish that the diner has when they read the menu and make their choice.  Innovative yet remaining authentic.  That's who it's supposed to be done.  Hanna knows.


There is a theme here....   Standard, knows dishes, twisted ever so slightly, in the right way, making you look a little sideways, and smile.

Meat Lasagna With Two Sauces

Pesto and a red sauce.  Superbly crafted and developed, rish deep flavors.  Truly a great lasagna.


Bobotie South African Curried Meatloaf

Pronounce "Bo-Bo-Tea"  From what the waiter said.

This is an exteremely different flavor that is very pronounced, HG was not a fan, but I enjoyed it.  If you like curry then you will likely like this.


A thick curry sauce on top of ground beef and spices.  Deep, big flavor.  I found that a bite that includes the meatloaf AND the pilaf was well balanced and delicious, and that's obviously why the rice was there.  Very well thought out plate composition.


Yeah, dare I say new favorite restaurant?  Yes, I think so.  Based on price, flavor, and LOCATION (just a short walk) this is my new go-to place for any meal, any time, and soon. 

What a better way to end a meal than with a dessert?!?!  Hanna happens to make the best, well at least other than what we make at home :-O)))

This is the Almond Cake.  Many layers of delicously sweet stuffs.  Chocolate mouse, almond mouse, cake, chocolate on top, etc., etc., etc.,  terrific.

Worth the walk or drive from anywhere, any time.

A local business that not only deserves your support, but your body would thank you also.

Put some of this in you.

DVA



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers